Few breeds of dog are as distinctive as the Siberian Husky, with their wolf-like features and athletic build. The Husky is one of the most demanding dog breeds around and they can be hard work to own.
Keeping your husky entertained is incredibly important, so they need plenty of exercise, toys and games. Today we are going to be looking at the best tough dog toys for Huskies, ranging from puzzle games to chew toys.
Husky Breed Traits
Before we dive into what are the best toys for a Siberian Husky, let’s look at some of the personality and physical traits of a Husky.
- Playful – Huskies love a good game and are bred to be active. They need a variety of different toys to keep their brains working and their muscles moving, so consider movement based toys or puzzle games.
- Smart – Huskies are incredibly smart dogs and they need plenty of mental stimulation to keep them out of trouble. You will need to choose a toy that will work your Husky’s brain matter.
- Strong and fit – While Huskies aren’t the largest or strongest breed of dog, they can still easily tear a weak toy apart in seconds. The toys you select for your Husky need to be tough and durable.
Things to Look for in a Husky Dog Toy
When you are searching for a dog toy for your Husky (or any breed for that matter), there are a few things you need to consider. You need to think about what sort of activity you want with your dog and what the toy will be used for. Are you planning to play games of tug with your dog? Or are you looking for something you can leave with them when you go out.
Let’s look at some of the different factors of a toy below:
- Safe – We have first-hand experience with unsafe dog toys and we know they can wind up costing thousands in vet bills. Always read reviews to make sure the toy you are looking at it safe and is suited to your dog. Huskies can destroy many toys with ease, which can lead to them ingesting small pieces of the toy. This poses a chocking or internal obstruction risk, which is something you really don’t want to deal with.
- Fun – A dog toy should be fun and engaging for Husky. Think about the things your dog likes to do. Do they like games of fetch? Or do they prefer to play tug? All these things are important when it comes to selecting the appropriate dog toy.
- Durable – There is no point in buying a toy that will last five seconds when you get it home. Huskies are strong, powerful dogs and they will easily tear a weak toy apart in seconds. Look for toys made of solid, sturdy materials that are designed to last for many hours.
- Cost – The price of a dog toy is a big factor when it comes to choosing the right one. This is more dependent on the owner and what they are prepared to pay. However, don’t feel that expensive dog toys are always better, as there are some great cheap dog toys out there.
The Different Types of Dog Toys
Not all dog toys are made the same and not all of them serve the same purpose. Some dog toys are used for a single purpose, while others can be used for multiple. Here is a look at the different types of dog toys you will come across.
- Active toys – These are toys that are designed to keep your dog active and moving. Think of things like tug toys, fetch balls and training toys. Active toys are great for Huskies because they keep them mentally stimulated and exercised.
- Distraction toys – These are toys that are designed to keep your dog distracted and mentally stimulated over an extended period of time. Think of a KONG filled with treats or other puzzle toys. Huskies love these sort of toys because they are incredibly intelligent.
- Comfort toys – are toys that make your dog feel comfortable and safe. They are usually classed as soft and cuddly toys, and are usually the toys that your dog carries around all the time.
Toys That Can Be Dangerous to Huskies
Huskies are incredibly strong dogs and they destroy almost any toy given the time to do so. Some toys are designed to withstand the abuse of a strong dog like a Husky and will last much longer. Weak toys that are torn apart in seconds can be dangerous to dogs and could cause an expensive trip to the vets.
Always try to supervise your dog when they are playing with a toy and replace any toys that are starting to show signs of wear and tear. We have listed some toys below that we feel are unsuitable or dangerous to Huskies.
- Brittle plastic toys are unsuitable for Huskies and they can be very dangerous. Any broken pieces of plastic can be a potential choking hazard or they may even cause an internal obstruction. Sharp pieces can also cut your dog’s delicate internals if they are ingested. Many good quality toys are made from plastic, but they are manufactured from stronger, more durable plastics.
- Soft toys should be avoided if you have a Husky. They may be perfectly fine for smaller dogs and puppies, but an adult Husky will tear these sort of toys apart in seconds. Soft toys are like the cuddly animal toys you see in the supermarket or pet shop. They usually have stuffing and squeakers inside of them, which can be potentially dangerous to your dog.
- Tennis balls are great for games of fetch, but they can be quickly destroyed by your Husky if they are left alone with them. The materials used to construct tennis balls can be harmful to your dog and they can cause an internal obstruction. Only give your dog a tennis ball if you can supervise them while they are playing with it.
- Rope toys are excellent for games of tug, but the threads of the rope can be harmful to your Husky if they are ingested. We only know this too well as we were landed with a $6,000 vets bill (thankfully insurance paid for this) when the threads of a rope toy got caught up in our Winston’s intestines. If you do want to use rope toys, always supervise your dog and replace them if they start to show signs of wear.
The Best Strong Dog Toys For Huskies
Below we have put together a list of the best tough toys for Husky dogs. These cover a range of different toy types and will keep your Husky entertained for hours. Carry on reading to find out more:
Jolly Pets Soccer Ball
If there is one thing dogs love, it is a good ball to play with. If you have every tried to use a normal soccer ball with your dog, you will know that it always ends in disaster. Regular balls will deflate when they are punctured and your Husky will tear them apart quickly. That’s where the Jolly Pets Soccer Ball is so good.
Jolly Pets offers the ball in a couple of different sizes, but we think that the 8-inch model will be perfect for your Husky. You can also get the ball in three different colours, blue, green and red. It is made from the company’s own Jolly Flex material and is manufactured in the USA. The great thing is that even if your dog punctures the ball, it will still hold its shape. In addition to this, the ball also floats and all three different colours feature different scents.
With over 600 reviews on Amazon, the Jolly Pets Soccer Ball is sitting at 4.5 stars and we even bought one for out two dogs. If your Husky is destroying toys you are giving them, or you are worried about damaging your dog’s teeth with some of the harder plastic balls out there, the Jolly Pets Soccer Ball is definitely for you.
Goughnuts Indestructible Dog Chew Toy Maxx
If you are looking for the most durable dog toy, the Chew Toy Maxx range from Goughnuts is certainly your best bet. Goughnuts offers their Maxx Chew in a couple of different variations. You can purchase the toy in either a doughnut shape or opt for a stick. They also give you the option of two material types, Maxx Power and Maxx 50. Maxx 50 is slightly stronger and is designed for seriously strong chewers.
We purchased the Maxx 50 for our two dogs (you can see the review here) and it is without a doubt the most durable dog toy we have ever purchased. The toy is very large and we feel that the Maxx Power would have been perfectly fine for our two Labs.
The great thing with Goughnuts toys is that they feature a unique safety indicator that tells you when the toy needs to be thrown out. If your dog chews through the outer thickness of the toy to the red material inside, it indicates that you need to “stop” letting your dog play with it. Goughnuts is so confident in their product that they will replace the toy if it gets down to the red.
If you are looking for an active dog toy that is great for games of fetch than we would certainly recommend the Maxx Chew stick. The toy floats in the water so you don’t have to worry about losing it in the water.
The Goughnuts Maxx Chew range should definitely be on your list if you are looking for the toughest dog toy out there. With over 900 reviews and a 4.5 star rating the Goughnuts Maxx range is one of the best reviewed dog toys out there.
KONG Extreme Dog Toy
There is no way we could make this list without including the KONG Extreme dog toy. The KONG toy is the perfect toy to keep your Husky entertained while you are out or busy. They are extremely tough and durable, and are a must have in any strong dog owner’s toy arsenal. KONG offers the toy in a number of different sizes and they manufacture it out of their ultra-strong black rubber formula in the USA.
The KONG Extreme is the perfect distraction toy as you can load it full of delicious treats. A great way to use the KONG is to freeze treats inside the toy, which will keep your dog entertained while you are out. Additionally, the KONG is great for games of fetch due to its unique bounce.
The KONG is recommended for those who are about to start crate training or those with Huskies who suffer from separation anxiety or excessive boredom. However, if you are just starting crate training with your Husky puppy we recommend using the puppy version of the KONG toy.
Our KONG Extreme has been one of the most durable dog toys we have owned and you can read about our experiences with it here.
StarMark Treat Dispensing Chew Ball
Much like the KONG above, the Treat Dispensing Chew Ball from StarMark is a perfect distraction toy for your Husky. The toy is available in a couple of different sizes and it rolls, bounces and floats, making it the perfect toy for your Husky.
It is an extremely durable product and will hold up to the toughest of chewers. You can fill the toy with regular dog treats or you can use StarMark’s own interactive dog treats.
With over 900 reviews and a 4-star rating, the Star Mark Treat Dispensing ball is one of the best treat balls you can buy.
Trixie Pet Products Chess Game
For those who are looking to challenge their Husky, the Trixie Chess Game is the perfect toy. The Trixie Chess Game rewards your dog with treats as they play the game.
This unique toy lets you hide treats underneath movable pieces that will keep your Husky entertained for quite some time.
The Trixie Chess Game features four levels of play that require practice and concentration. You can vary the number and placement of the treats and cones to make the game more difficult. The cones have to be lifted or the sliders moved to get to the treats hidden below.
This toy is made from high quality rubber and plastic and there are non-slip rubber feet to keep the toy in place while your dog plays.
If your dog loves a challenge, then they will love the Trixie Chess Game. Your dog will have to use their problem solving skills to get themselves a treat and the toy will keep them mentally stimulated, an important factor for Huskies.
While you may have to give your dog a hand the first few times they use it, they should soon get the hang of the toy. We do recommend that you supervise your dog while they are playing with this toy as some of the pieces are small.
Chuckit! Ultra Ball
As we wrote earlier in this article, you need to be careful when giving your dog a tennis ball. Tennis balls can be quickly destroyed by Huskies, so that’s why we recommend using the Chuckit! Ultra Ball.
The Chuckit! Ultra Ball is ultra-durable with an extra-thick natural rubber core. In addition to being tough, the rubber material these are made out of let the ball bounce extra high. They also float in water and are easy to clean.
Chuckit! offers the Ultra Ball in a range of different sizes and they are compatible with various different ball launchers. They offer their own launcher which is also available on Amazon.
These balls have got to be the best reviewed dog toys on Amazon with over 5,000 reviews and a five-star rating.
Goughnuts Tug Maxx
For those looking for the ultimate tug toy, look no further than the Goughnuts Tug Maxx toy. Like the Goughnuts Chew Maxx that featured earlier in this article, the Tug is extremely durable and will be perfect for strong Husky dogs.
The Tug is designed for larger dogs and is 11 inches long, 6 inches wide and 1.5 inches thick. This along with the tough Goughnuts rubber compound make it ideal for those who want the strongest tug toy.
While the material is the same as the company’s other tough Maxx Chew toys, the Tug is marked with red on the outside to indicate that there is no safety indicator.
The Goughnuts Tug Toy Maxx has over 300 positive reviews and those with extra strong dogs seem to love it.
Summing Up the Best Dog Toys for Huskies
Huskies are a demanding breed of dog. They are intelligent, strong and need lots of exercise. You need to purchase good quality toys for your Husky and the ones we have listed above are some of the best.